The world of social media and the endless access to different website pages can be a daunting thought. Especially when trying to keep your children or young person safe online. With the right procurations and safety tips the internet could open up a wide range of opportunities for them.
Here are a few key tips which will help your children to stay safe online:
1. Keep your personal information personal. Things like address, mobile number and email.
2. Posting pictures of yourself online can be more dangerous than you think. Once you post a picture online then everyone can see and it may be able to be downloaded. This means the pictures can be reused or tempered with.
3. Keep your password private and safe, never give it out.
4. Don’t accept friendship requests from people that you don’t know and don’t meet up with people that you have met online. Speak to your parents or carer if anyone suggests this to you.
5. Keep your settings as high private as possible
6. Keep in mind that not everyone online is who they say they are.
7. Respect others views, even if you do not agree with any other views it doesn’t mean you need to be rude.
8. Think carefully to what you are about to post online.
9. If you see anything online that makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe: leave the website, turn off your computer or laptop and tell a trusted report.
10. Use age appropriate websites and social media platforms.
These are just a few top tips which can help to keep your child or young person safe online and teaching them the importance of online safety and the dangers if not handled with appropriately.