Can I Foster Children?
We need foster carers from a wide range of backgrounds, races and religion. This is because all children have their own unique and individual background and heritage. You do not need to be married, own a house or have children of your own.
We aim to ensure that each child’s needs are met and matched as closely as possible, we use the following selection criteria:
- Previous employment or experience in children’s services – paid or unpaid.
- Applicants with particular skills and experience in specific areas as learning difficulties, medical problems etc.
- Applicants who show a willingness to work towards meeting care standards for fostering.
- Applicants with experience of the previous fostering and/or close involvement with someone who has already fostered.
- An ability to reflect on life experiences and to mature through them.
- An ability to see beyond children’s behaviour, and to link it to past trauma, where applicable
- An empathy for and natural ability to nurture children traumatised by separation from their birth families.
- Applicants able to accept teenagers
- Applicants comfortable with parents visiting their home.
- If living with a partner/ spouse, the relationship should be established and secure.
In addition, Sunbeam will expect the applicants to have:
- A spare bedroom.
- Plenty of physical and emotional stamina.
- A commitment to attend training events and support groups.
- A willingness to support a child’s/young person’s attendance for therapy, hospital appointment etc – including the provision of transport where necessary.
Please contact us if you have any questions and would like to explore fostering.